When a woman is pregnant, she begins to condition her body and turn her mind inward to prepare for childbirth. Searching for a doula is one of the many ways a woman gets ready for her journey.
What is a Doula?
A doula is a woman who is skilled in providing support and encouragement physically and emotionally before, during, and after childbirth. Understanding the physiology of birth and hospital protocol, a doula provides informational support as well as helps the family develop open communication between them and their care providers.
The role of the mother’s primary support person whether it is her husband or her partner can never be replaced, but with a doula that person doesn’t have to worry about what to do or what comes next – they can be present as a parent. Women who have given birth with a doula by their side agree that she helped provide a gentle and more satisfying birth experience.
As your doula, I honor and support your journey from a loving, compassionate, and nonjudgmental place. I am a constant trusted presence throughout your labor and birth. I am there to provide emotional and physical support and help you realize the strength and wisdom of your body.
I hold a sacred space for your birth to unfold and help to facilitate an environment that can help you open to your baby’s birth and the birth of you as a mother.
Benefits of Hiring a Doula
As reported by DONA, clinical research illustrates that having a trained doula present at your birth can result in shorter labors and less complications. Mothers also tend to request pain medication less than mothers who labored without trained labor support.
- Mothers experience a more positive birth experience.
- Provides emotional advantages to the mother such as feeling more in control and secure during birth.
- Reduces the duration of labor.
- Increases spontaneous vaginal birth and successful breast-feeding.
- Reduces the use of interventions such as the use of epidural anesthesia or other analgesic, oxytocin, forceps, vacuum extraction or cesarean birth.
- Reduces complications with mother and baby.
- Reduces anxiety levels and postpartum depression.
My Unique Doula Services
At Womankind, the initial meeting is free. The initial meeting is for the parents and the doula to decide whether it’s a good fit. Then, there are two prenatal visits. These allow everyone to become comfortable with each other. During these visits, I become aware of your hopes and wishes for your birth experience and help you prepare for the birth of your baby.
I am there throughout the pregnancy to assist you in finding the answers to questions through telephone or email. When your labor starts, the support begins when you’re ready. Some women prefer phone contact for early labor and other favor the personal contact as soon as possible. Throughout your birthing process, I help you as needed with position changes, massage, visualization, hydrotherapy, rest, and breathing.
I am there with you each step of the way, as each surge comes and goes, and as you work to bring your baby from your womb to your arms. Immediately after the birth, I stay with you for a short while as you transition into motherhood. I help get you settled and comfortable into your space and then quietly take my leave for you to bond with your new family.
Doula Services include:
- Initial Consultation: This allows us a chance to meet and become familiar with one another, answer questions, and to find out if we are a good fit.
- Two Prenatal Doula Meetings: We meet to discuss your birth preferences, birth preparation, pain coping techniques, and to spend more time getting to know one another.
- Providing Continuous Physical and Emotional Support During Your Birth: I mother the mother within you and help your birth partner be fully present to support you.
- Postpartum Doula Visit: We will discuss and recap the birth experience and help you get adjusted as a family by providing assistance with necessary resources.
Doula’s Role: As your doula I…
- Give you reassurance
- Suggest position changes
- Create a relaxing environment
- Suggest various pain coping techniques
- Use aromatherapy and hydrotherapy
- Offer words of encouragement
- Guide you through visualizations
- Help you understand the physiology of labor and birth
- Provide soothing touch and massage
- Suggest ways to include your partner
- Instill in you the confidence to gain information to give informed consent
- Prepare you for your birth experience through education, open discussion, and providing you with necessary resources
- Initial Doula Consultation is Free
- Two Doula Meetings, Birth, and Postpartum Meeting – $2000.00
I ask that the payment be received in full 36 weeks gestation. It’s better to have the finances covered and in place so that your birthing experience and our relationship stays relaxed and as smooth as possible.